Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Magicians - Lev Grossman

The Magicians
I didn't really feel the love for this book.  I had heard that it was soooo good not sure if I expected to much and that was the problem or if I would have been equally dissapointed even if I had heard nothin.  Quentin has always loved the Fillory novels (very similar to the Lion the witch and the wardrobe series) right before graduation he finds out that magic is real and gets recruited to a magic school.  This was a little like another magical school I had read about.  However then things grew up real fast I thought.  This definately wasn't a kids book.  These kids were at school with a bunch of adult teachers but had free reign and could do whatever they wanted.  They smoked, drank, did drugs, slept around and were very dissappointing people.  After graduation realizing that they have done the most exciting things that they will ever do and that real life is boring they decide to spend the rest of their life going from one high to the next.  I am willing to give anything a try but have to admit that if I hadn't had this on my nook I wouldn't have finished it.  The story had potential but was kind of boring.  While I wouldn't say that the letter F was a sponser of this book they did kick the word around a lot and then with all of the other content this book definately isn't for everyone.  I did really want to like it but am afraid that I didn't really care for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment